Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Confidence is key!

In the field of communications, it is obviously inevitable to have to be good at speaking in front of an audience, be it a group of 5 or a group of 500. 

When I was in High School, I was known as the girl with the softest voice in class. My teachers would always tell me to speak louder, this happened even if I was already seated on the second row. I was aware at that time that i lacked confidence. I was a shy, quiet girl and I never went up to anyone first to talk to them. I would always wait for the person to come to me or else i wouldn't talk to them, even if i had something really important to say.

My lack of confidence also made me lose a lot of opportunities. Many times there had been contests for declamations and public speaking, which i wanted to join but didn't because i was shy and afraid that i might lose. 

But after a while, I realized that being afraid and shy will get me nowhere. I realized that in anything I would do in life, I would need confidence to speak to people and in front of people. So I made it a point to improve on my confidence. I joined acting workshops every summer to help me with this, and I tried harder when it came to approaching people and speaking to them. 

Now here I am! An Organizational Communication student! I now frequently recite in class without being told to speak louder, I represent my group a lot when it comes to report presentations, and mmost importantly, I am not afraid to make mistakes in front of people because I am confident in myself and i know that even if i make a mistake i can pick myself up an carry on with what im saying. 

CONFIDENCE IS KEY. You can never communicate well if you are not confident with what you're saying and if you're not confident with yourself. Never be afraid to make mistakes, that's one of the key things when it comes to building up you're confidence. Once you've built that up, you can become the best communicator you want to be. :)

No comments: